Translate

Monday, March 28, 2016

Electric, Plumbing, and Insulation OH MY!

  Charlie and Jacob spent this last week working on the electrical and plumbing for the tiny house. The biggest hurtle was translating my imagined requirements into reality. I've been spending time going over all the possibilities for outlet positions. I've decided that I want all my outlets at waist height because I plan on getting a rabbit later and I don't want the cords to be tempting. They also had to convert my understanding of construction into reality. Apparently a "Sim square" is not an actual construction term. All of my building experience has been playing the EA game The Sims. I told Charlie I wanted my sink in one Sim square under the window and my propane stove top in the square next to it. 


 The counter should be three Sim squares. Jacob understood that in reality each Sim square is converted to two feet by two feet. It's good I had a translator because Charlie looked at me like I was speaking Tralfamadorian.

Next step was establishing what appliances I will be wanting and where they should be going.
  I'm really wanting a washer/dryer set up but I've decided not to worry about that immediately. For now Charlie and Jacob will wire and plumb for a potential washer/dryer but the actual machine can be added in later or potentially never.

I decided where all the lights should be and where corresponding switches would go.
 I'm really impressed with how well Charlie and Jacob executed my bizarre requests.

For insulation we had originally planned on having a professional come do blow in insulation. After looking more into it and talking with some people from Dunn Lumber and at Home Depot we decided it would be more cost effective and about the same R value to just use foam board like we did in our floor. Jacob has been working on cutting that and getting it all installed.
 The porch light and main room light I found at Ballard Reuse and the bed loft light, kitchen light, and bathroom light I found at Second Use.

2 comments:

  1. When it comes to a lower cost, there are few options out there. The hot water service that I received was second to none from this company. I am really happy with the service that I received and would recommend them to others. If you want to make sure you have the best in this area, you need to take a look at this company.

    Carmelo @ PRO Hot Water Service

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also had to convert my understanding of construction into reality. David Havelka

    ReplyDelete